Welcome to CommonLit! You can get started with the platform in three easy stages:
- Register for CommonLit
- Create a Class and Add Students
- Create Assignments
The process for completing these tasks will vary based on your class, preferences, and available tools. Links to relevant articles from the Support Center are provided for each topic to help you find the right article to answer your question and unique situation.
Stage 1: Create Your Account
To easily create your free CommonLit account and access educator features, follow these 7 steps:
- Go to www.commonlit.org.
- Click "Sign up" in the top-right corner of the page.
- Choose “I AM AN EDUCATOR” and indicate your workplace or role. If you work in another country, select Other educator (Any Other Country) and pick your country.
- For US schools, enter your zip code and select your school from the provided options.
- If you don't see your school right away, check to see if it's listed under nearby zip codes.
- If you work in multiple schools, choose one of them to start. You can add a second from your My Account page later.
- If you don't see your school, select "Other" and type in your exact school name.
- Enter your first and last name, valid school email, and create a password.
If your school-issued email is not accepted as a valid school email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so the Support Team can add your email domain to the approved email list.
- Strong passwords are at least 10 characters, do not contain common phrases, and are used on no other sites. Longer passwords are more secure.
- Go to your email and open the confirmation email to confirm your account. If your school server blocks the email, email email@example.com so the Support Team can get you confirmed.
After completing these steps, you'll have a free CommonLit account, granting you access to reading passages, the ability to create classes and digital assignments, and the capability to monitor your students' progress over time!
When you first log into your new account, you may be asked a few questions about your role, the grade levels you work with, and the ELA resources available at your school. This information is used to help customize and enhance your experience on CommonLit.
If you are experiencing issues creating your CommonLit account, please take a look at one of the following articles:
Stage 2: Create a Class and Add Students
Stage 3: Create Assignments
Related Articles: Quick Start Guide For Students
Want to take CommonLit instruction to the next level? Unlock benchmark assessments, school- and district-wide data, trainings and more with School Essentials PRO. Learn more about School Essentials PRO here.