This article is intended only for customers and partners using Canvas. Our Canvas integration is available for schools and districts who purchase our School Essentials PRO package. To learn more about School Essentials PRO, please head to: https://www.commonlit.org/en/school-essentials
There are two ways to add a co-teacher to a Canvas-linked class:
- Sync your Canvas Class
- Use a class code to join a class as co-teacher
Option 1: Sync
In order to add a co-teacher to a Canvas-linked class:
- Both teachers must have CommonLit teacher accounts connected to Canvas.
- Your co-teacher must be shared as a Teacher or TA on Canvas.
- Both teachers must be enrolled in the same official U.S. public or private school.
- The class must be enrolled in that same school.
If your CommonLit class is imported from Canvas, here's the order of events that needs to happen to add a co-teacher to that class:
- Teacher A (ideally the class owner) ensures Teacher B (the secondary teacher) is enrolled as a teacher or TA on Canvas. (Note: We will not add users with both student and teacher or TA roles as co-teachers.)
- Teacher A imports the class from Canvas.
- Teacher B creates their CommonLit account, if it doesn't already exist, and connects it to Canvas by going to their Canvas course, creating a new Canvas assignment, and selecting CommonLit as an external tool under Submission Type.
- Teacher A and Teacher B make sure they are both enrolled in the same official U.S. public or private school (My Account > Schools), and that the class is also enrolled in that school with access to Canvas.
- Teacher A syncs the class from the Manage Classes page.
Assuming the class and teachers are in the same school and the secondary teacher has linked to their account to Canvas, the secondary teacher should be automatically added to the class!
Option 2: Join Class as Co-teacher with class code
Teachers who aren't shared by Canvas can also join a Canvas class using the class code.
If you are the primary teacher of a class, you can find your class code by clicking Options > Manage Co-teachers next to your Canvas class.
Invite your co-teachers via email or send them your class code.
Instruct them to go to their Manage Classes page and click Join Class as Co-Teacher. Then, have them enter your class code.
This will send a request to your Manage Classes page for you to approve their request. Once you approve it, they can access the class as a co-teacher.