Students with existing CommonLit accounts can join your manually created class by logging in, clicking the My Account and Classes tab, and clicking "Add another class code" to enter the code for your class. For more information about how students join your manually created class with an existing account, please see the FAQ: How can a student with an existing account add another class code to join my class?
If you are importing your new classes from an integration, such as Clever or Google Classroom, please see the FAQ: My students already have an account from last year. How will they be added to my new class if I import from an integration such as Google Classroom or Clever?
What if my student does not remember their password and therefore cannot log into their former account? If your student has an existing account but is unsure of their password, they have a few options to access their account and join your class depending on how their account was created.
Students with manually created accounts:
- If your student added an email to their account during sign up or after sign up, and they can receive emails at that address, they can request a reset password link on the CommonLit reset password page. Then, they should check their inbox for an email from CommonLit with further instructions.
- Note: Many school servers block emails to students from outside servers, so this method does not always work for students.
Students imported from Google Classroom:
- If your student was imported from Google Classroom, or created their CommonLit account using a Gmail email address, they can click the "Log in with Google" option on the CommonLit login page.
- Students should log in to their Google account using their Gmail credentials. If the student is having issues logging in with Google, please help them enter their Google credentials.
Students imported from Clever:
- If your student was imported from Clever, they can select the "Log in with Clever" option on the CommonLit login page. Students should follow the login prompts and enter their Clever credentials to sign in. Students can also click on the CommonLit app from their Clever dashboard to log in.
Students imported from Canvas:
- If your student was imported from Canvas, they will be directed to sign in to CommonLit when accessing an assignment through your school’s Canvas instance.
Students imported from ClassLink:
- If your student was imported from ClassLink, they can access their CommonLit account from their ClassLink Launchpad.
If your student does not have an email on their account and is not connected to an integration but they are in another teacher's active CommonLit class, your student should ask that teacher to reset their password for them manually. To do this, teachers should go to their Manage Classes page and select the class the student is enrolled in. Then, from the class's Manage Students page, they can click the "RESET" button for the student's name. A pop-up will appear with further instructions on how the student should log in and set a new password.
If your student did not sign up with an email, was not imported from an integration such as Clever or Canvas, and is not in an active class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the student's full name (and username if known), their previous teacher's name/email if known, and the name and class code of your class that they should be added to.