After registering for a CommonLit account, click on My Classes > Manage Classes tab in the navigation bar. There, you will see a "Create a New Class" option. Click on this and decide whether you would like to create 1 new class manually (which students will join using a class code), or import 1 or more classes and students from Google Classroom.
You will then be asked to fill out information about your new class, including a personalized class name, grade level, and subject area.
Check out this short 3-minute tutorial video for a step-by-step process on getting started with CommonLit digital classes.
Read more step-by-step instructions below:
You must be associated with at least 1 specific school in order to create classes. If you selected "District/Multiple Schools" as your school type during sign-up, go to MY ACCOUNT and add your school(s) to your profile.
There are 3 ways to create classes:
Manually Create Classes and Add Students
- Go to MANAGE CLASSES from MY CLASSES.
- Click CREATE A NEW CLASS
- Choose CREATE A NEW CLASS MANUALLY. Name your class and select its grade(s) and subject area(s). NOTE: If you are in multiple schools, ensure your class is in the correct school. Click CREATE CLASS.
- Now you will see your class listed under your school on your Manage Classes Page. Click ADD STUDENTS.
- Instruct your students to go to www.commonlit.org/code and enter your class code. Note: If students have an existing CommonLit account, they should log in and go to their My Account & Classes. From there, they should select "add another class code" and enter your class code.
- If you want to control your students' usernames and passwords, you can create their accounts for them one at a time by logging out of your teacher account and following step 5.
Feel free to share our Quick Start Guide For Students with your students along with your class code!
Import Classes and Students with Google Classroom
- Go to Manage Classes from MY CLASSES.
- Click CREATE A NEW CLASS.
- Click IMPORT CLASS(ES) FROM GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
- Select the Google account associated with your Google Classroom classes.
- Select the class(es) you would like to import.
- Select the grade(s) and subject area(s) for each class. When you've done this for each of your classes, click IMPORT.
- We've now imported your classes and students. Please wait 1 minute for your students' accounts to import. After 1 minute, refresh the page to see your students.
- Instruct your students to log in by clicking "Login with Google."
- NOTE: Did a new student join your Google Classroom roster after your first import? Click the green sync button to sync your Google and CommonLit rosters and add this new student to your class.
Import Classes and Students with Clever
- If your school has elected to share its data with CommonLit via Clever, you can log into CommonLit through Clever, link your Clever account to your CommonLit account, and import your Clever sections as classes.
- If you do not see CommonLit in your Clever dashboard, instruct your appropriate admin to reach out to email@example.com to integrate with Clever.